You may be used to putting a knob of butter or lard into the frying pan before adding the streak bacon ? this does not mean that you should. Instead of adding the saturated fat, try grilling without any added fat. Instead of streaky, try bacon and trim off any visible fat. You could even get rid of the bacon altogether. Knowing what the alternatives are is the key to enjoying your new low fat diet. You don’t have to forego everything you enjoy eating. Sitting down to a family meal together can be one of the most pleasurable parts of your day.
As a rule, avoid frying, as it is the least healthy way of cooking. Stir-frying is better as long as you use very little oil. Use a good quality wok and keep the temperature high, tossing the ingredients constantly so that they do not stick Try Prawn Stir-fry as follows:-
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
8 spring onions
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
2 tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
200g/7 oz mange tout
450 g/1 lb raw prawns, thawed if frozen, peeled and divined
4 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1) Using a sharp knife, trim the spring onions and finely chop. Deseed and slice the peppers.
2) Heat the groundnut oil in a preheated wok or heavy-based frying pan. Add the spring onions, garlic and peppers and stir-fry over a medium heat for 4 minutes
3) Add the mange touts and prawns and stir fry for 4 minutes, or until the prawns have changed the color. Stir in Chinese rice wine, then transfer to four large, warmed serving plates and serve.
Calories- – – ..203
Protein- – – 28g
Carbohydrates- – ..5g
Sugars- – – …4g
Fat- – – – .8g
Saturates- – – 1g
Substitute thinly sliced broccoli florets for the mange tout for an equally colorful and tasty dish. Replace the Chinese rice wine with dry sherry.
Also, let me share with you one of my personal favorites, The ?Low Fat? Coffee Ice Cream:
Preparation Time: 1 hour, plus
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Freezing: 6 hours
25 g/1 oz plain chocolate
225g/8 oz ricotta cheese
5 tbsp low fat natural yogurt
85 g/3 oz caster sugar
175 ml/6 fl oz strong black coffee, cooled and chilled
? tsp ground cinnamon
dash of vanilla essence
25 g/1 oz chocolate curls, to decorate
1) Grate the chocolate and reserve. Place the ricotta cheese, yogurt and sugar in a blender or food processor and process until a smooth puree forms. Transfer to a large bowl and beat in the coffee, cinnamon, vanilla essence and grated chocolates.
2) Spoon the mixture into a freezer proof container and freeze for 1? hours, or until slushy. Remove from the freezer, turn into a bowl and beat. Return to the container and freeze for 1? hours.
3) Repeat the beating and freezing process twice more before serving in scoops, decorated with chocolate curls. Alternatively, leave in the freezer until 15 minutes before serving, and then transfer to the refrigerator to soften slightly before scooping.
Calories- – – ..150
Protein- – – ?6g
Carbohydrates- – ..21g
Sugars- – – …21g
Fat- – – – …6g
Saturates- – – ..4g
Omit the cinnamon and vanilla essence and substitute 40 g/1? oz grated mint chocolate for the plain chocolate.